Facebook  –  mobile app feature

Facebook is looking to compete with Evernote, Pocket and Instapaper by introducing a way for users to save posts and articles their friends are sharing. During this project, we aimed to discover and understand:

How people bookmark and save content for later
– The functionality of competing apps
– How to best incorporate this new function within the current Facebook mobile interface

This was a two week long, group project (as part of the General Assembly User Experience Design Immersive 2014) involving Myself, Chattiya Peace, Beston Nounrasi and Simon Houghton from General Assembly. My role involved competitor research, user researchcreating scenariosforming user flowssketching wireframes, creating prototypes, usability testing, collecting results and making design iterations.


Problem Statement & Competitor Research

In order to better understand our purpose during this project we identified our key problem statement: Users are missing out on posts/articles they want to read due to lack of time.

We began looking at the current Facebook mobile interface in order to assess current functionality and where the new functionality might sit. We also started to look at what competitors were doing to solve our problem and help people save information online.

 

User Research (Survey)

Since the proposed new feature was going to be integrated into Facebook's existing interface we identified that our main users we were targeting were going to be existing Facebook users. With this information we started to formulate a survey in order to gather direct information about how these users currently saved information online.

We used SurveyMonkey to formulate our survey which consisted of nine questions aimed at gathering information about the current behaviours of our users. You can view the survey here.

 

User Research (Survey Results)

The results of our survey informed us that our users (current Facebook users) would definitely be interested in the proposed save feature. The results also illustrated the functions that we should include in our solution; delete, archive and share options.

 

Personas & Scenarios

Based on our user research we created the personas of Simone and Lucas. Our aim was to provide a solution that would help solve potential issues with saving content that Simone and Lucas face daily (time-poor, inefficient ways of saving online content)

We created scenarios considering our personas which explored how both Simone and Lucas go about saving posts and articles to Facebook during time-sensitive situations to view later. These scenarios helped us to identify the key features needed in our solution.

 

User Flows

We created several user flows describing possible paths that our users can take using our solution within the Facebook interface.

 

Wireframes, Prototype (POP version), User Testing & Iterations

Using the information from our research, personas, scenarios and flows we began sketching what we thought our solution would look like integrated into Facebook's current app interface. Our solution consisted of a new save feature which stores posts and articles to a saved area within Facebook.

Using our drawn wireframes, we used POP to create a mobile click-through prototype. We guerrilla tested this with three users. Although feedback was positive and most users found our solution to be useful and intuitive, a pain point for the user was identified: lack of icon clarity. We immediately updated our wireframes, adding labels to the icons and also removing those that were causing confusion (the expand icon was removed and thumbnails were made clickable instead)

 

Wireframes, Prototype (Prototyper version) & Screen Flows

Our next step was to create higher fidelity wireframes and a clickable prototype. We used Prototyper to create the wireframes. We also created some screen flows which take us through key user flows when using the new save feature within the Facebook interface. You can view our prototype here

 

 User Testing

Using our new prototype we tested with seven current Facebook users, observing as they clicked through. Our main feedback was that our save feature was intuitive and easy to navigate too within the current Facebook interface. 

 

Pain Points & Design Updates

During testing, several user pain points were identified. The above image shows how we updated our designs to take into consideration these pain points.

 

Results & Presentation

The final stage of our project involved presenting our findings and solution. 

From our research and testing, we found that Facebook users are certainly interested in a feature which allows them to save posts and articles. And in solving the user problem: users are missing out on posts/articles they want to read due to lack of time, the proposed save feature would be very helpful.